Drop A Track, Part 2


 The music video we looked at this week is Lecrae and John Legend's "Drowning" from Lecrae's new album, Restoration.

A lot of times we, even as Christians, find ourselves looking to many things, besides God, for help.  We look to Google or relationships or food or electronics or even drugs and alcohol.  The last place we turn to is Jesus, but Jesus is the best source of help we could ever ask for.

Last week I met a young man who came by the church.  I sat with him for about an hour and he told me a lot of his story.  He had been abused, kidnapped, and exposed to a harmful chemical that will eventually disable him.  I said to him, "Life's been tough to you."  He replied, "Life is tough for everyone."  "Yeah, but some people have it worse than others," I said back.  He also told me he tried to escape all that pain by using drugs.  He was so desperate for a high that he would take dirty needles and pick them up and inject them into his body, hoping for a little bit left in them.  That is so dangerous!  He was finally at the end of himself and he wanted out of all the junk he had been involved in.  He wanted help.  He wanted help from Jesus.  And he gave his life over to the Lord!

I can't relate entirely to this young man.  Maybe you can though.  The closest thing I can think of is when I was in high school.  My entire soccer team circled up after one practice in particular to get high, including the coach!  As I was driving away from that, one of my high school friends said, "You don't want any part of this do you?"  I said "No," and drove off.  He knew where I stood.  I had help.  I had Jesus.  I wasn't overtly Christian in high school so I don't know how my school mate knew, but he did.

The writer of the 121st Psalm says, "I look to the hills.  Where does my help come from?  My help comes from the Lord.  Maker of Heaven and Earth."  May we be reminded that when we need help, all we need to do is look to Jesus.

Some questions to discuss as a family:

  • Who do you follow on social media?  Why?
  • What mood does most of your music playlist put you in?
  • Where or what or who do you turn to first when you need help?
  • Do you agree or disagree with this statement:  "We always look to God last when we need help."
  • How can the members of this family be a source of help to each other?
Bonus:  Enjoy this testimony of how Lecrae finally reached out to Jesus and his Christian friends for help.



Comments